Friday, October 13, 2006

More Progress

Last night I finished Pig Baby. There wasn't a whole lot left to stitch as it was. All that is needed now is the back stitching. I didn't take a picture this morning because I overslept. :) Even so, I have removed it from the active WIPs list. 5 down 1 to go to make my goal. Next in line is Mosey N Me's "If A Flower Bloomed".
Some friends have asked me why I don't work on projects that I am really excited about instead of these which have been somewhat put to the side and forgotten. Two main reasons, really. The first is because it kinda weighs on me to have so much pending so it's either dump them so I don't see them again, or finish them. I can't bring myself to throw away what I have stitched, even if I've only stitched a little of it. I have no problem ripping, but I just can't throw it away.
The second is somewhat similar to the first. I like to think of myself as someone who is responsible and meets their obligations. Having unfinished things around contradicts this. Better not to start something than to start something and not finish it. It may seem like a small thing, but it's small things, IMHO, that either boost or lower our opinions of ourselves and this reflects in our confidence. So, I tend to take things that give me any kind of negative feeling about myself very seriously. Are there a hundred projects out there I rather stitch on than "If A Flower Bloomed"? Absolutely. But when I go through my stuff, and come across unfinished projects, I feel kinda disappointed that I haven't finished it.
So, you might wonder, do I feel disappointed about all the patterns I have that I don't have enough time to stitch? If you're a regular reader of this blog, you've no doubt read several times how I don't understand why I keep buying patterns when I already have more patterns than I can stitch for this, and probably another, lifetime. Earlier this year, I made a list of everything I wanted to stitch, and the count came to over 400. I stopped adding to the list, although I have not stopped buying patterns.
As you might know, on June 1st I moved from a huge 4 bedroom house to an apartment on the beach. I had to get rid of a lot of things simply because it wasn't going to fit in the new place. The purging hasn't stopped. I keep going through my stuff and getting rid of things. This past weekend I went through all my CDs and got rid of about 25% of what I had. Last night, I gave RJ about half the DVD collection. I already have an entire under the bed bin of kits/patterns I know I don't want anymore. It's only a matter of time before I make a realistic assessment of what I am going to - or not going to - stitch. Stay tuned!

2 Comments:

Blogger Meari said...

I can understand your wanting to finish what you started. I am the same way, and my reasons are the same as yours. For me, it's a reflection on my character and integrity. Congrats on your pig baby finish!

P.S. Any stash you don't want... pass it on my way! LOL

3:58 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Your pig baby and the dog one (by SC) are darling. I have the dog pattern but just never did it. I have so many UFO's it's not funny. I am trying to dig them out and finish them. This year I finished 3 but plan to finish a couple more. And only one piece has turned into a UFO but that one will be done early next year. I'll trade you some of your stash for a couple of my UFO's they'll come with the patterns honest

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home