Wednesday, May 2, 2007

SBQ

Today's SBQ was suggested Kathryn and is:

How many WIPs do you have?

At the present time, there are 8. They are listed on the sidebar.

How many UFOs do you have?

None - I get rid of them. UFOs belong in outer space.

When does a WIP become a UFO?

For me, a WIP becomes a UFO when I no longer truly desire to stitch that particular piece anymore. I had been keeping things partly out of my own personal pride (I don't see myself as the kind of person who doesn't finish what she starts) and partly out of sentimentality or maybe even possessiveness. It is my work and 1) I don't throw my work away and 2) It's a visual record of my time.

But then I realized that I like to stitch. Stitching should be secondary to finishing. Yes, I start working on something with the belief that I will one day - not too far into the future - finish it. But if, along the way, I change my mind about the piece - much in the same way we all change our minds about our clothes, hairstyles, furniture, decor, and all other things in our lives, it's okay to let it go. If I enjoyed stitching it then it served it's purpose. If I don't want to stitch on it anymore, then I need to do something with it. It can't just live with me forever unfinished. Usually, I try to give it away to someone. If no one wants it, then Sayonara.

Most of us have more than we will ever be able to stitch. Why try to hang on to something that doesn't excite us anymore when there are so many other pieces we could be working on?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your blog is AWESOME! Great graphics!!!

I agree with you. If you aren't enjoying the stitching, why bother!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Meari said...

8 WIPs really isn't that bad. I tend to finish my projects out of pride too, even if I don't particularly like the design anymore. Luckily, I only have 2 UFOs and I'm slowly working on them.

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good gosh I wish I had 8. holy moly I have about 20. I will get to them.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home