Friday, March 10, 2006

Dilema

I finally left the job from hell and started at a really neat office working for a non-profit in Downtown Fort Lauderdale last Monday. This office is very calm and not at all anything like the chaos I am used to experiencing with the last companies I worked for and I am getting paid the same as when I was working for the bag company.

Last Wednesday, I got an offer from another company that was courting me, but because they have gone through some re-organization, they had not been able to tend me the official offer letter until then. (Hiring was frozen). They will pay me a little more than I am currently making, plus additional bonuses based on performance (which, knowing me, I will definetely get!).
Dilema: Do I leave the calm and quiet non-profit, which will allow me plenty of time to stitch or, do I go with the higher pay, more demanding, and definetely will be working overtime position?
Another point that concerns me is that the second company has recently been purchased by another entity, a firm in Europe, which as far as I know doesn't have any offices in the US. The old offices of this company in Toronto and California have been closed. I am concerned that I will make the jump only to find out in a few months that this is closing too. The company I am currently working for isn't going anywhere any time soon.
Opinions?

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I would stay where you are for now, the other place seems a bit risky, could be wrong but i would have a good hard think about it before making any moves.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you aren't hard up for the money and want something calmer at this stage in your life stay where you are!
:)
Petra

7:46 PM  
Blogger d said...

Hey girlfriend ...

I'm finding that working for a non-profit is night and day from the corporate world. So much less stress ... so much more opportunity for me to do what I want to do ... so much less money (LOL). I've sat on the fence myself about staying or going somewhere else for more prestige and money but for now, I'm opting to stay in the shallow pond just so I can regain my sanity after all the crap I went through last year.

I can't give you advice 'cause you need to do what's right for you, but I agree with the others that if you don't need the money, take a break. Something else always seems to come along that you can make a success. Enjoy the calm after all you've been through lately.

Debbi

7:57 PM  
Blogger Jenn L in Chicago said...

Stay put. Let the other company know that you did already accept a position elsewhere and that it would be unprofessional of you to "jump ship" so quickly. Even though you won't be taking their offer, it reassures them that you woulnd't have done the same thing to them if something better came along, and if another position opens up in the future will reflect well upon you should you apply at that time.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home