Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Rant

I don't like to rant.
Especially in my blog.
But sometimes something gets under my skin and the only way to get it out is to write about it.
Last night was, as always, the SAL at my LNS. This is the first time in the 5 years I have been going there that I walked out because I was upset. Let me give you some background.
We have a person that has a habit of talking on the cellphone. Let's call this person "N". This person also has a booming voice. We usually grin and bear it and hope it is a short conversation. 99% of conversations N has are just babbling with their significant other. The significant other knows N is at a SAL but calls anyway. This happens often at the Sunday group too.
While N was once again on the phone, someone from the group, "E", said "You need to take that outside". But because N was on the phone, it wasn't heard. "M" heard it however, and repeated it to N - making sure N heard it.
When N finally got off the phone, instead of apologizing, N said "I have something to say to M because I did not appreciate that". - This was the first thing that totally p*ssd me off. How insensitive can one person be? Like N has the god-given right to bore everyone with banal conversation. N's voice is so loud that we can't hear what others are saying so, people then raise their voices to get over N's voice, and then N gets louder, and so on and so forth.
M had gotten up to shop and when M returned, N totally blasted her. M said that other people were saying the same thing, but E just kept quiet. - Second thing that p*ssd me off. If you're going to have the guts to say something, have the guts to admit it. Don't hide and pretend you didn't say anything, especially when someone else is getting the heat from what you started.
N then made a bunch of excuses for not getting up and leaving to talk. A bad knee, stuck between other people, etc etc. N also made excuses for being loud, mainly because others were talking while he was on the phone (!) - Third thing that p*ssd me off.
You see, N does this on Sundays also. We meet at a club house in the card room. This room is very large and has about 20 tables, of which we only use one large one. We also sit next to the door/window in order to get the best light possible. There would be no problem getting up and walking outside to talk. Others have done it. He has NEVER done it.
So, I left. Because I was starving, having skipped lunch, and there was no way I was going to risk having to put up with N during dinner as well. We usually go to California Pizza Kitchen, and while N doesn't always come, I would not enjoy it if this would be one of those nights N would decide to join us.
So, you're probably wondering what I bought last night. I bought one of Jill Oxton's magazines. #68 I believe. Also a handy cheat sheet of embroidery stitches and Glendon Place's chart "Five Simple Rules". I love Glendon Place's charts - they are HUGE!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Lelia said...

Ewww ... sounds like some people still need to learn some manners.

I do hope next time the 'gang' gets together, the cell will be 'off'

1:35 PM  
Blogger Anna van Schurman said...

When I was at camp, someone took a cell phone call WHILE WE WERE ALL INTRODUCING OURSELVES. She talked in her regular voice. Until she was done. I think some people were just raised by wolves. Really.

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about setting up SAL stitiching ettiquite before hand?

In the case of the first SAL, the LNS owner should set up some guidelines and quietly explain to M that she is disurupting the other stitchers with her phone calls even if they don't complain out loud to her.

Just my two cents, but I think speaking quietly to the offender (rather than critizing her in public) would probably solve the problem.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Trish said...

Unfortunately, we weren't given that opportunity because the moment N got off the phone, N made the angry "I got to talk to M because I did not appreciate that"... and thereby set the tone.

"D" tried to calmly explain the situation to N, but then N began making all those dumb excuses.

It's over now and I have it out of my system, but the end result is that now I think a little less of N and also of E, who started it all.

3:57 PM  
Blogger The Silver Thistle said...

Totally feel for you :(

Some people are so self absorbed that they miss the point altogether. The reason they do what they do is usually because they can. I'm glad that someone had the courage to tell them how it is, it's just a pity that the heat went to someone else for it, that's as bad as the original thing I think.

I recently had the misfortune to be the one taking the heat for someone else's comments (and big style too). I took the heat and not once let on who REALLY was behind it all, but I feel let down by the person who started it because they still haven't admitted they were the cause and haven't even apologised for stirring.

This whole thing is big for me as it's caused no end of problems in my working world >:(

I'd still do it again though, just to let others know that sometimes you have to put others first.

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home