Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Stash Indigestion

I've been buying way too much stash lately. Way too much. I just researched what I had spent in the (thus far) first three months of the year and the total is up to $1,600, not counting a few times when I paid cash, and I can't remember the amounts, but I do remember it being aroud $70 at least 2 or 3 times.
I was putting all this stuff away this past weekend and I realized it was a lot when I completely filled one binder and had to go looking for another! I figured it would take me at least two years - maybe more - to stitch all the patterns I just bought!
I've never quite understood why I buy so much stash. I can't seem to pass up fabrics and threads, particularly. I've never really worried too much about it because we can afford it, but lately I'm finding that I'm running out of space to store all this stuff. Normally, I spend around $70 per week, which averages to about $900 per quarter. I am over by 66% for this quarter! The business person in me is horrified.
So, I am officially "On the Wagon" and I am not going to be buying anything that I don't already have on order (estimated around $100 per month) or that I don't actually need for what I am stitching, (such as threads, beads, fabric), during the second quarter of this year (April thru June). I'm not counting framing/finishing either.
The irony to all of this mad purchasing is that I was looking for something small to stitch to replace the Bug Collector I just finished, and what would "call to me" but two of Mosey N Me freebies! I think it's perverse that I would choose a freebie when I have purchased so many charts just these past few months!
Why does stuff like this happen? Why do we buy so much stash?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Trish,
I too was buying stash in the amount of upwards to $ 500/month for a year or so and then in Oct., I just stopped. I do have some things on order, but my main problen like you is where to store it and honestly when will I stitch it all up? Good luck being on the Wagon,LOL!
:)
Petra

9:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow that is a lot of stash spending (not that i am trying to make you feel any worse!) if i could afford it i would probably be spending loads to on stash.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home